Monday, November 17, 2008

Weddings...

I had the wonderful opportunity stand up in my brother's wedding on Nov 14th. It was a great time. A nice, short ceremony followed by a limo bus ride to the reception and about 7 hours of drinking and happiness. It was an amazing time. However, as I stood there listening to the commitment my brother and his now 'wife' were able to make to each other in front of their peers, I felt a little, well...left out. I watched as the friends and family of this couple vowed to make sure they would support their relationship. That they would think of the couple and remember them in their prayers when times were tough. I heard the friends and family vow to be there to celebrate the milestones and accomplishments of the couple. Again, I couldn't help wishing I had the same rights.

I have been in a committed relationship longer than my (younger brother). Donnie and I have been together for 8 years now. We have gone through hard times, good times, long distance separations and have helped each other become better people. Why can't we have LEGAL acknowledgment of our relationship too?

I don't know, it seems to me that we should be encouraging love. It seems to me that we, as a nation, should be encouraging monogamy and commitment. It seems to me that if you want to protect marriage, then you should LET PEOPLE MARRY. Especially people that don't have a 60% divorce rate...

Everything about Proposition 8 in California is coming straight here...Straight to the Midwest. We have let a group of people, a CULT essentially- people who believe that Jesus had a lay over in America on his way to Heaven so he could plant some tablets for Joseph Smith to find. You know, which is more ridiculous....believing in that FUCKED UP STUPID STORY, or BELIEVING IN EQUAL RIGHTS?

And, more over, how can someone who believes in Jesus deny human rights for all. My people do NOT ask for RELIGIOUS MARRIAGE. MY PEOPLE ASK FOR SECULAR MARRIAGE, THE SAME SECULAR MARRIAGE THAT UNITES SO MANY HETERO COUPLES! Why should my people be denied this right? What makes Mormons- and other non-taxed institutions- think they can have a voice in the Government when they don't financially participate?!?!?!?!?!?

There was a huge debate over this issue in the Bush Administration- remember when preachers were evaluated by the IRS following Preaching about government in churches? Well, IRS MAN...you best be taxing the fucking MORONS, I mean, Mormons for their VOICE in the PASSAGE OF PROP 8.

No Justice, No Peace...

1 comment:

Radical Reminders said...

I agree with you 100% and i'm so so sorry that you are feeling hurt and outraged (and rightfully so!). I am outraged too, and doing everything i can to gain equal rights for same sex couples, because everyone deserves a chance at marriage.